Friday 20 June 2014

Intro post to OCL4Ed

I'm just starting a new course! One more :)  I think I'm addicted to learn, and with my not too good time-management skills this sometimes become a problem.  The good bit of this new course I'm starting now is that it last just 2 weeks and it's very well structured with a very nice interface to follow up what you need to be done.  So, first of all: Congratulations to the team who put it together :)  Hip-hip! Hurra!!!

The first activity is just to set a blog, configure it, customise it and write the first post with the experience.  I'm not new to blogs, and I've been using it since long time... however my problem is keep it up.  Also, I've been planing for ever to create my own website and keep a blog with my updates in my work - so it helps me to improve my time-management skills.  The problem with that is that I keep looking up for the perfect tool and I never get to actually doing it... :(  Nevertheless, I think I've found what I want and hopefully in this austral winter I manage to get it up and running (and keep it running).  However, the settings of that site takes a bit longer than the ones from blogger or wordpress... so I'm going to use this semi-abandoned blog meanwhile and then in the near future move them to my new site.

So, let's go with what's asked for this first activity:

who am I?  I'm a researcher in Solar Physics (no, no solar panels - but the sun as an star).  I'm in my 3rd post-doc and during this one I've got to prepare a lot of teaching material.  Since long I've though that blogging helps to your learning experience - maybe because you have more pressure as people can follow you up (with encouraging comments to keep going :)).

Was it easy or difficult to set a blog? well, since the time I started bloging (2005) - when I was using it as a diary for my friends and family of my adventures in a new phase of my life, my PhD -, till now, I find it extremely easy.  As I said, the difficult part for me is to keep it up-to-date.  Now a days, I think there are a lot of tools that makes bloging (or sharing your experience with the world) a lot easier (twitter, facebook, g+, ...) But what I never liked from these and I still don't do is the limitations they have as you need to belong to a certain network to be able to participate.  My best example goes as: imagine you could just email (communicate) the people from your same email provider.  Thankfully this is not the case with email... but it's with a lot of other tools (skype, whatsup, ...).  I'm sad that people don't try to use better tools that are available to provide a better communication in the world (with many other advantages) just because... (put your excuse here).
That's in part what makes blogging still so nice! You share your thoughts with the world without making the people to belong to your network, and everyone can follows you with just using RSS! - I use theoldreader to keep track of what I want but there are many others.  Why do I want to go away from blogger? well, I think that will deserve a post by its own any other time.

I think I've got a bit more words that were required... so that's all for now :)

Upss... an CC image which is related with what is going to happen soon:
Summer Solstice Sunrise over Stonehenge 2005.jpg
"Summer Solstice Sunrise over Stonehenge 2005". Licensed under CC BY-SA 2.0 (by Solipsist) via Wikimedia Commons.

No comments:

Post a Comment